Sunday 2 October 2011

Belize

My apology for picture quality. New camera is on its way. Picking it up in Guatemala City in a few days time.

I am on my way to Belize City. The road is not as good as in Mexico. I thought after leaving Mexico no more topes. Wishful thinking but at least not as many as in Mexico. In Belize former British Honduras spoken language is English. The population,  just over 300 000 mostly descendants from African slaves in the 17th century.

The battery is holding up well so my theory appear to be correct.

Firstly I wanted to visit the islands off Belize coast, especially Caye Caulker. I wanted to dive in the Blue Hole made famous by Jacque Cousteau all these years ago.

The Blue Hole is a Cenote under the sea. It is  300m in diameter and 135m deep.

Water taxis which operate between Belize City and the islands won’t take bike on board. I learned from Belize’s insurance broker, there is possibility to take the bike to the islands on the cargo boat but I need to go to the port. I received directions at the gas station and I was on my way. Sadly I missed the turn and got lost. At that time I didn’t know that my GPS works perfectly in Belize unlike in Mexico. I saw a man, I stopped and asked him for direction. He had these milky looking eyes. He immediately told me he is charging for his information. He called another guy who at that time was still inside the house and continued “where the F^%k are you from”. This became too hot for me.
I stepped on the accelerator and sped off. I could hear him behind me screaming “where the f^%k are you from”. After about 100m the traffic stopped. I was blocked by bus. The screaming got louder and louder. This guy was chasing me. Fortunately before he got to me I managed to get away just maneuvering between the cars. Before I got to the port I had to ask for direction a few more times.
I passed through area which made me more and more nervous. This time I was more careful who I ask directions. All this happened in broad daylight.  This was the first time I felt threatened in my entire trip. Finally I got to the port and found out, the last barge already left and I have to wait until tomorrow.

 Belize City center.

I had enough for the day. I didn’t want to look for any hotel in Belize City. I decided to ride on to Monkey Bay Sanctuary about 50 km away and regroup. Monkey Bay Sanctuary is very popular stopover with riders crossing Belize. Set in nice bushland very close to Belize zoo with very good facilities – recommended.

In the evening I went to restaurant called ‘Amigos’ just across the road. Most guests there spoke English with this broad American accent. I learned later, they are not tourists but locals living  in the area. All settled there many years ago.

I left my bike in Monkey Bay Sanctuary and took a bus to Belize City. Later on I took water taxi to Caye Caulker.


Caye Caulker island is very low key and full of backpackers. I finally could taste, I am in Caribbean.
Approaching the jetty at Caye Caulker. 

Welcome to Paradise.

The main street

All streets are unsealed



The 'Spit' popular drinking hole.


I booked into this hotel


and later I booked my diving trip to the Blue Hole. Cost for three dives 360 Belize dollars. About $AUD170. Not cheap but nothing is cheap in Belize.

On our way to the Blue Hole.

We passed the island were TV series "The Gilligan's Island" was taped.

 Finally on site 

The Blue Hole is a sinkhole which got covered with sea water after the Ice Age. We  dived to the depth of 45m. The visibility was excellent. We saw stalactites and a lot of sharks. Some only a few meters away.

Later, we stopped on one of the islands to have lunch.


 I found a coconut.

Later in the evening, we socializing  at "The Spit". 'Mattman' in the middle wasn't diving with us but he is part of establishment here and never far away from the action.

For three days, among other staff, he tried to sell me his CD..... he is a local reggae musician.


After having a great time at Caye Caulker there was time to move back to the mainland and collect my bike from Monkey Bay Sanctuary. On the last day on the island the weather deteriorated. It started to rain and kept raining for three more days. I decided to stay at  Monkey Bay Sanctuary until the weather will clear. 

I visited Belize zoo only about 3 km away. Normally I don’t visit zoos but this one is different. It has animals only native to Belize, all in large enclosures and natural settings. Most of the animals were either injured in the wild and brought to the zoo or orphans who lost their parents. Some are trouble animals which otherwise would be shot by farmers.

This Jaguar was born in the Zoo and wouldn't survive if set free.

This one probably would.

When weather cleared I went south along Hummingbird Hwy.

Next day I left Hummingbird Hwy and went off road, passing some Mayan villages



Some video clips from Hummingbird Hwy area:

           The Movie Clip


After two days I came back to Monkey Bay Resort. The following morning I rode toward Guatemala border and Tikal. Very easy border crossing, all it took was  about 30 minutes.


3 comments:

  1. Be careful, sounds like you were very lucky!

    PS. I think the person who told you Gilligans Island was filmed there was joking.

    ReplyDelete
  2. No, this the actual movie set where they filmed in the sixties.

    ReplyDelete
  3. They could have caught that boat you were on and went diving to the hole with you, nice photos and buy a gun-a big gun

    ReplyDelete