Wednesday 7 September 2011

Acapulco to Tuxstepec

Road from Acapulco to Puerto Escondidas was less spectacular, partially because the weather has changed it has became wet and rainy. Many warned me, if I stay close to the coast is going to be wet but so far I was lucky. There was no rain except for a few overnighters. About an hour after I left Acapulco it started to rain. It was raining the following day too. I stayed an extra day in Puerto Escondidas. I  had more time to socialize. Puerto Escondidas nice rustic town, more laid-back then previous resorts.

Early morning

Lunch on the beach


The main street


In Puerto Escondiddas I met three Portuguese girls on their four weeks holiday around Mexico.
Two of them keen surfers. Puerto Escondidas is known surfing destination for its brake called "The Pipe". They told me they are doing this every year, picking different country every time.
From memory, last year Panama and the next Guatemala. Not bad.

About 70 km south of Puerto Escondidas there is Puerto Angel and Playa Zipolite - an old Hipi place. It has a lot of rustic charm and nude beach for enthusiasts. I planned to spend one night there but unplanned extra day in Puerto Escondidas somewhat cancelled it.

Puerto Angel


Playa Zipolite

Playa Zipolite main street

And the beach


The movie going through small town San Pedro Pochutla shortly after leaving Playa Zipolite:


I was going to make several mountain rides. This will throw me of course and add many miles to my trip. The first one, Hwy 179 from Puerto Angel to Oaxaca. Road climbed quickly from the sea level to about 2800m and next descended to around 1500m where is city of Oaxaca. Very picturesque in good condition except for some parts high in the mountains where the road was occasionally washed away with some potholes big enough to swallow the bike??.

Typical views from Hwy 179


New flora appeared




Oaxaca - district's capital, popular tourist destination with nice colonial old city.

Main square

Rotunda in the main square


Very popular profession here


 Some fine colonial architecture.

Oaxaca's region famous for its crafts

An old lady weaving on the spot

 And more colonial architecture

Hotel I stayed in Oaxaca, only block away from the main square



From Oaxaca I took again Hwy 179 to Tuxstepec. Very spectacular mountain road climbing several times to 3000m and then descending to valleys below. I was warned is going to get cold with possible frost. Fortunately the lowest temperature I registered was only down to 8 degrees Celsius.

On the last leg going down, stupidly I engaged in the race with the off duty ambulance. The guy obviously knew this stretch of the mountain road pretty well. At the end for the stupidity I was rewarded with flat tire and got badly bitten by sand-flies the next morning. The punctured tire forced me to stay overnight in the village. Very nice place with camping area by the river.
Regrettably the sand flies ruled there. Sorry no pics.


Some spectacular views on the way.


Mountain ride on Hwy 179 movie clip please on the link below:




1 comment: